Welcome back to The Addicted Mind podcast. This week, we are talking with Dr. Jessica Naughton, a Clinical Psychologists who have years of experience working with combat veterans dealing with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Many veterans struggle with addiction that also suffer from PTSD. Now we know that PTSD can be one of the underlying causes of substance abuse since addictions spring up as a way to deal with PTSD symptoms. So how can we care for veterans as they navigate PTSD symptoms? The good news is that the stigma around mental health disorders is rapidly changing. Now more than ever before, there are people like Dr. Naughton who have the resources to help veterans and their unique experiences of trauma and addiction. Help is here! Listen to see just how much we can do for our Veterans.
- We talk a lot about PTSD, but what exactly is it?
- Trauma for combat veterans cannot be processed
- Trauma for combat veterans cannot be processed at the moment.
- Symptoms were actually an adaptive change to help veterans survive.
- Diving in on why certain people deal with PTSD and others do not.
- Treatment is becoming less stigmatized.
- Dr. Naughton explains why trauma focused and addiction focused therapy is a delicate balance.
- Learn the difference between exposure and cognitive therapy treatments.