Ever felt like you’re stuck in a downward spiral of negative thoughts and emotions? Well, you’re not alone. Join us as we converse with the spectacular Alex Korb, eminent neuroscientist and author of ‘The Upward Spiral: Using Neuroscience to Reverse the Course of Depression, One Small Change at a Time.’ Our exchange pivots around his life-changing journey from probing the depths of neuroscience to uncovering the profound understanding of depression.
You’re in for a treat as Alex reveals the intricate workings of our brains, drawing an engaging comparison between tuning our minds to adjusting the volume on a speaker. Debunking the conventional belief in a one-size-fits-all treatment, Alex emphasizes the necessity of a personalized approach to mental health. Be ready to reframe your understanding of mental health as we traverse this enlightening conversation.
Wrapping up our talk, Alex underlines the empowering nature of comprehending the human brain and the sheer potential of minor modifications leading to massive changes in our lives. This absorbing conversation is sure to offer a fresh perspective on mental health and equip you with practical ways to navigate it.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Personalized approach to mental health as opposed to a one-size-fits-all treatment
- The role of minor changes in transforming our lives and creating an upward spiral of positivity
- His journey from being a neuroscience student to understanding depression at a deeper level
- The importance of physical activity in enhancing neuroplasticity and the sensitivity of brain circuits
- Understanding the brain’s function to empower oneself and instigate positive change
- Exploration of how small positive changes can lead to a powerful upward spiral in our lives
- The complexities of depression, and the importance of recognizing it as a biological, not moral, failing
- Neuroscience as a tool to better understand and manage depression
- The interaction between depression and addiction, and how understanding the brain can aid in managing both.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
The Upward Spiral: Using Neuroscience to Reverse the Course of Depression, One Small Change at a Time
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Emerald City Productions. They helped me grow and produce the podcast you are listening to right now. Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com Let them know we sent you.
You can support the Addicted Mind Podcast by purchasing through our affiliate links.
Above are affiliate links, this means that if you purchase something, The Addicted Mind Podcast will earn a commission. This commission does not cost you anything. This commission helps offset the cost of running The Addicted Mind Podcast and enables me to continue to create meaningful and helpful content. Thank you for your continued support.